Northern California golf courses are some of the most scenic courses you’ll ever play. And some are just a short drive from Bassett’s.
- Graeagle Meadows – Located in Graeagle, CA it’s a mere 30 minute drive you won’t want to miss. Take the scenic route to some “extreme golf”.
- Whitehawk Ranch – Another short drive will land you in Clio, CA and home to a picture perfect course. “Once you cross the entry off Highway 89 onto the property, it’s like you have entered a different world”.
- Coyote Moon – Absolutely stunning! But don’t get too distracted by the view. It’s more challenging than it appears. It’s an hour from Bassett’s but worth the trip.
And that’s just to name a few! You can find more info about golfing in the neighboring Plumas county by clicking here.
“If you think it’s hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.”~Jack Lemmon
Highway 49 is open to traffic year-round. In the winter, however, Gold Lake Hwy is closed to auto traffic and becomes a groomed trail for the winter sports enthusiasts. The Bassett’s gateway leads to snowmobiling, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing and hiking.
There is a snow pack reporting station near Gold Lake. If you’re interested in the amount of snow pack accumulation for the Lakes Basin area, check out these stats provided by the National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). You can also search by city and checkout the observations nearest to you.
Did you hear that? Have you ever heard birdsong and wondered what kind of bird it was? The BirdNET app created by Cornell University will allow you to record and identify the source of the sound using artificial intelligence – AI.
“How can computers learn to recognize birds from sounds? The BirdNET research project uses artificial intelligence and neural networks to train computers to identify more than 3,000 of the most common species worldwide. You can record a file using the microphone of your Android device and see if BirdNET correctly identifies the probable bird species present in your recording. Get to know the birds around you and help us to collect observations by submitting your recordings.”
Want to learn more about birds and bird watching? The Sierra Foothills Audubon Society is headquartered in Grass Valley, CA but their membership area includes Sierra County.
Sierra City & Surrounding Towns
Sierra County has a rich history. See what the neighboring towns have to explore. Here’s a few things to check out – just to get you started.
- The Downieville Museum – the website Visit Sierra County is great place to get started on your history expedition.
- Kentucky Mine Historic Park – a brief description and map to the location can be found at MuseumsUSA
- Museum Petroglyphs is located between Lakes Basin campground and Elwell Lodge. Interpretive signs explain art carved into nearby rocks by prehistoric Native Americans.
Map of surrounding towns:Sierra-City-TownMap